Tuesday, March 10, 2009

If you lose your glove in the Vatican, don't count on seeing it again.

Rome is totally super cool.  Sort of like Paris's cooler, funnier, more fun older sibling who likes to wear bright colors.  In personification terms, not in Nicky Hilton terms hahahaha!  But anyways...there is tasty food and wine everywhere, craploads of tourists everywhere, and if you just start walking there is a good chance you will run into something super old and important.  I walked a whole lot, mostly because I was alone and not sure what to do with myself, and because many of the super old and important things are within walking distance of each other.  I very much enjoyed the Pope Mobile and the Vatican...Trevi Fountain was pretty amazing...I was a little thrown off by the Spanish Steps, because it is really just a very long, old staircase outside.  My favorite part of Rome was/is the Colosseum and Forum/Palatine Hill, but of course my camera battery died and I only have pictures from when I went to see the Colosseum the first night I was there...it's pretty amazing to be surrounded by stuff that is so incredibly old, older than the majority of the old stuff around.  A lot of it was obviously unrecognizable (a guided tour may have been a good idea), but after eavesdropping on an American tour in the Colosseum I heard that some silly ruler started taking all the important old stuff apart to use the materials for other things, which I did not know!  But seriously, there were a bajillion tourists.  From everywhere.  So I don't know what is up with the "worldwide banking crisis", but apparently it's not stopping people from enjoying Rome.  And I am still mad that I lost one of my gloves in the Vatican.  Damn those silly guards in their silly plumed hats and their silly luscious velvety capes.       





No comments: